Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sightings continuing

As promised, I continue to be on the lookout for unexpected exercise opportunities:

  • Hanging up my clothes this morning in the Williams' back yard. They have a clothesline strung from their house to a tree against the fence. In the middle of the line, I stuck a pole to hold up the weight of my wet clothes.
  • Putting bikes in the back of Cliff's car. Yes we did go biking along the Michigan lake front. But the process to transport the bikes themselves was a puzzling exercise that involved tugging handlebars and disconnecting front wheels.
  • Grocery shopping with Linda. We visited three stores. I pushed around a cart, carried a basket, and carried out the groceries. Plus the walking and intense perusal of the facial product aisle in Whole Foods.
  • A jaunt to the Art Institute. I took the metra in with Cliff, Tim and his girlfriend Lizzie to admire Lichenstein's litographs. We also clambered through the lion's legs to get a picture of us all under its belly.
Also, back to the more conventional:
  • Linda invited me to join her Monday night yoga class. I borrowed a mat from the instructor. This amazing thick mat the was incredibly grippy. She focused on shoulders but did a lot of training on forward folds which increased my awareness of my lower back and hip flexor exercise. We also did enough lunges and squats to get my legs shaking and my breathe hard.
  • Biking! Cliff and I biked a leisurely 15 miles along the Lake Front. We stopped to play chess, eat lunch, visit new friends at a taco stand, and then more chess and a clamber over boulders.
  • Nike Training Club continues to keep me company. This time I braved it in the William's back yard. I missed my medicine ball and weights but found the exercises challenging in different ways -- I need more fine tuned control. Also, the uneven ground made the burpees and froggers more unusual.

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like the weather there is to die for! I am excited to be in the midwest for a few days! The heat here is already oppressive - 106 today I think? Anyhow, I love all your sightings and I love seeing loading a bike, grocery shopping, all those 'menial' and necessary tasks as exercise. It really puts a different spin on it! So often I get grouchy by that stuff - next time I do it I will try to look at it that I'm being active and getting exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww shucks. and I get to see you soon! wo-woot!

    ReplyDelete