Friday, June 15, 2012

The recumbent Bike

I am very grateful for the recumbent bike. During these time when my knee is only so so it still gives me a decent work out.

Since Tuesday when my knee 'popped' it has been a little stiff so yesterday I went to the gym and tested running for one minute. It was too much so I moved over to the recumbent bike and had an intense 45 min ride!

One thing I find unsatisfying about the recumbent bike is the calorie count. I feel as though I am working so hard but the calorie count does not go up nearly as fast as when I run or am on the elliptical. So I tell myself it is inaccurate, which is likely true of all of the machines, and I feel a little better. Really though, it is an obsessive thing that I have to try and keep in check. I get logged into that mentality that more is better when really (as Sabrina said in Sabrina) "more isn't always better, sometimes its just more."

Post workout my legs were quite tired- it really gives you an awesome leg workout! So I did do some squats and wall sits (inspired by Joy) but nothing with the smith machine. I used one of those balance balls, put it behind my back and with a 6lb medicine ball I squatted. I alternated this with wall sits while holding the medicine ball between my legs.

Today my knee is still a little stiff/sore which does bum me out because I was hoping to run this weekend in New Mexico but perhaps by Sunday it will be feeling better! We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. how creative of you! I love your combination of medicine ball and ballance ball.

    Any scenery on the recumbent bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope ur knee is feeling better. I agre e with ann. How creative you are!

    ReplyDelete