Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Grimm, Running and Women

Last night I watched the plot of the new show Grimm after my hair stylist recommended it (Okay so having a hairstylist doesn't make me snobby. A decent haircut is key as a professional woman. New designer clothes not so much.). The show opens with a young thin woman running peacefully through the forest. Suddenly she is brutally murdered by an unseen force. The shot switches to male detectives "checking out" a high power lawyer woman's ass only to see her face transform to a monster face. Later one of the detectives discovers on a midnight walk with his dying aunt that he is a Grimm. Being a Grimm gives him the power to see people as the monsters they really are. Unexpectedly one of the monsters attacks them, and his aunt whips out a knife only to be thrown to the ground. The detective then kills the intruder with his gun.

The jump sceens were enough to make me turn off the show. But what really irritated me was the portrayal of women as weak and as objects. That and how it made me feel.

Today I woke up early and greeted the day with a 3 mile run. The sun shone bright. A clear crisp morning is rare here in Oregon. I smiled as my feet pumped off the pavement, but then my smile faded and I thought of the runner in the TV show. I felt vulnerable. I turned a corner and spotted a man in a wheelchair waiting for the bus. I hoped he wouldn't grope me. Another corner and three more men. I felt watched as I ran by with my full breastfeeding bosom and generous tushy. Ugh ugh ugh.

Yes, I am usually aware of how men may perceive me, but this morning the awareness was palpable. The show had reminded me of it and on top of that had made me feel vulnerable.

No, I will not being watching Grimm but will instead turn to shows like Parks and Recreation that leave me feeling capable and able to start the day with a run. The episode of Leslie Knopp's election night inspired me. While waiting to hear the results, she boxes with her best friend. Hmm maybe I should take up boxing . . .




2 comments:

  1. Joy, that is AWESOME about being able to run. But I can relate to feeling vulnerable sometimes! I believe it is an added (sometimes subconscious) added hurdle for me to get outside and run. That is why running on a treadmill can for me be easy mentally than running outside....

    I love you and you are very strong! Boo to that Grimm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh I didn't know i was missing out on awesome posts.

    Sorry about that Joy. I feel self-conscious as well, though for me it's more critical about how i look. Knowing self defense/boxing can help because then you can imagine how you would destroy someone. It's comforting.

    ReplyDelete