Friday, July 20, 2012

5,4,3,2,1...RUN! and be BIG.


Today I woke up still tired. Although I had finally had a good nights rest I still was feeling drained from work and the day before, although it was my day off, I was at home all day exhausted from a terrible cramping episode I had had that morning.

As I was at the shop preparing everything to open I felt my heart sink because I just felt tired and drained. This discouraged me because I had been very much hoping to go to the gym after work and then to Jazz 1 later that evening. I decided to let it go and not worry about it too much (oh because I never worry about anything anyhow ;)).


Well I am delighted to say that (Turkish delight delighted mmm!), after work I felt alright and made my way over to the gym. I had my heart set on running but knowing how my knee is I didn't pressure myself. I simply set the treadmill and gave myself a 10 min walking warm up. By 8 minutes I really wanted to run but I waited until 10. Then I worked my way into a slow jog and then run...


...I ended up running three miles! I even got a little sprinting in! It was fantastic!! My legs felt SO strong and light. I did start to get tired towards the end and made sure I slowed it down and wasn't over doing it on the incline (as I am inclined to do sometimes ;)

I finished off my run with ten more mins of walking to make sure I was well cooled down and of course stretched (oh and I did a little with the medicine ball-I thought of you Ann!)

After the gym I managed not to talk myself out of going to my second Jazz class ever. With the glorious ran pouring down all I really wanted to do was curl up and read a book but I went and I am very glad I did!

The teacher, Taylor, had us do a contemporary choreography and I got REALLY into it. We danced to Florence and the Machine "Hospital Beds." (which if you haven't heard pls youtube it!). Apparently she actually took it from an original that was hard rock). It felt rather relevant to my life right now seeing as I just started working in a hospital.

I loved the slow emotional movement. Its so freeing to FEEL the music and MOVE your body. This actually has probably been one of my favorite dance classes at Breakout yet simply because she made us do that awkward "walk across/dance across the floor in front of everyone" thing but she was very encouraging saying 'do you, be you' and not to worry/focus on what other people were doing. Slowly I warmed up. I can feel myself getting more relaxed with movement and its beautiful.

At one point she was going around talking about as a teacher she learns from her students during improv and one lady she mentioned she loved how 'big' she would get... stretching her arms out to the heavens etc and how important that is in dance. So different from how I think we have learned to be-that we need to take up less space. And that's how I'd like to end...just remember to be BIG. Reach your arms up to the heavens, move to music and take up space!

I love you ladies!

PS:I can't quite dance like that but it's inspiring isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let's be BIG!

    ah loved reading this. Although I first I thought your turkish delight picture was some form of a weight-lifting toturing and I was inwardly cringing. And I am listening to Hospital Beds. I <3 Florence + the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved reading this post! I felt it might be a little non-sequitor but I just had to share the BIG thing with you. So beautiful.

      Delete