Saturday, May 26, 2012

"Stand"-the inspiration of music while running

I went running today! This is the first time in about two weeks (since I was in Oregon). I tried once on the treadmill and my knee just was not having it.It was actually tolerable to run outside at 1:30pm today (only 80 degrees as opposed to our regular). Before my run I went through a Zumba workout with my toning sticks. That was fun and challenging - they even add a chair to the work out! I love doing ab exercises without having to do regular sit ups! After Zumba I felt warmed up and really wanted to try running, and was drawn to go outside- I love that feel of fresh air on your skin and when you come back from the run all covered in sweat and red- YES!

The run itself went pretty well. About ten minutes in my knee started to bug me so I stopped at stretched just a bit and then went again. I had to do that about two more times throughout for a total of a 20 minute run. By the last 5 minutes my knee actually felt quite comfortable...and the last part of my run I sprinted! I haven't sprinted in what feels like forever and I felt SO strong. (That has been one major frustrating aspect of not being able to run - I know my cardio ability has gone down some but I've kept my legs strong so when I run I wanna GO, but this is not always possible). One of my favorite running songs started playing right at the end of my run; "Stand" by Rascal Flatts. It is one of the best, most motivating running songs:

CHORUS:
Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you Stand, Then you stand

At the end of this run I was sprinting during the chorus and couldn't help but think "yes! I WILL stand! and I WILL run!"

1 comment:

  1. wow Hope. Those lyrics are powerful. I got goose bumps while reading. And way to stick with running even though it has been so hard with your knee. I admire that.

    ReplyDelete