Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Since quitting my job over two months ago now (eep has it really been that long?), I have had a lot more free time...many more days off. This is something I have craved for quite awhile. I had day dreamed about slow leisure days where I can take my time to do everything - including working out. I love being able to take my time getting to the gym and being at the gym. The funny thing is, despite all my free time, I find myself frantically running from one task to the next and this includes my gym/workout time. I have had to consciously say to myself "Hope, why are you in a hurry? You don't have to rush- the tv show will be there when you get back to it." 


It is a challenge for me to really sloooow dowwn, even (and sometimes especialy) on days off.  Finding the stillness of being alone and being ok with it is hard for me. I have been burying myself quite a bit in TV shows. But I am trying- today I took myself to the gym and spent 45 mins on the elliptical (with my toe shoes! thats extra work)...and took the time to listen to my body. I seem to be having a harder time 'getting into' my workouts that are on the elliptical/treadmill/bike. I feel like my body is slow and weak. Today I told msyelf I was going to ease my way into my work out and not jump right in to the highest incline and speed.  By doing that I found myself warming up and being able to have a satisfying workout. 


After elliptical-ing, inspired by Eugene's dedication to weight lifting- and conversations with Joy, I decided to try out their guided squat rack. I did three sets of squats. Again following my slow and warm up mantra- I started with 10 lbs and then switched to 20. By my third set I worked up to 12 reps. I wasn't exhausted, but felt good! 


After working out I went to the locker room and cleaned up - its one of my favorite things about working out - showering. Heh- feeling all the hard work being cleaned off, and my legs feeling alive and activated! 

2 comments:

  1. Yes I get in a hurry too. And forget that I don't have to be in rush mode all the time. I especially notice it when I get in and out of the car and have to collect all my belongings. I want to do it all quickly and then think -- why the hurry?
    Nice! Elliptical with toe shoes.
    And legs feeling alive -- I love that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for squats. Its such a good idea to weight lift as women. I feel so strong and empowered when i do it.
    Agree with ann. Love the legs feeling alive. I too enjoy showering and the self care after being active.

    ReplyDelete