Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DSM + Treadmill = ?

 + 

My newest news is that I now have a gym membership at the Y! The other day, while reading about health, I came across that fact that as humans we sit way more often than what is good for us. I don't know if that applies to both of you, but most of my days I have my butt in a chair so I can have my nose in a book. I decided to try something new and lugged my Bible-like DSM to the gym and used the elliptical while learning about mental retardation and then the treadmill while learning about the general chapters in the DSM and I continued visiting different machines and studying.

What I learned from the experience is
1) It is best to study from a less unwieldy book than the DSM. That thing keep shutting on me and once I almost knocked it off the stand onto my toeses.
2) I have the hardest time not exercising competitively. I purposely set the treadmill at a slow pace as the reason was to exercise while walking, not get an intense workout. But when on the eliptical or bike, I kept wanting to go faster, especially if there were people around me.

So the plan is to continue my walking studying. Second round I brought my ipad and studied off of digital flashcards there. I love imagining my future of a psychologist while diagnosing my patients. I can see myself thinking "Definitely he has MDD and how am I sure? I learned it while on the treadmill, mile 3."

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I remember having goals of trying to study while on the elliptical or treadmill. You really can't get an intense workout in while studying but you can get moving.

    Also, about sitting. That is one thing I really do like about my job. I am up and moving a lot!

    ReplyDelete