Sunday, January 20, 2013

Keep it up!

There are moments when exercise seems glorious -- like when I go out for a run and feel like I am flying. Or when I am doing a yoga pose and suddenly melt into it. Or when I punch a bag until my muscles feel exhuasted.

Other times exercise feels blah.

Now I am not a fan of exercising all the time if it is miserable. I am a supporter of joy in every area of life. But at times I find exercise is worthwhile even when I feel uninspired. Like today I did not have an inspirational yoga hour of power. It was more a yoga hour of sour. I found myself distracted, irritated at my lack of progress in many poses, and missing a lot of dear Darrell's instruction. I finish and my body feels good but it wasn't anything to write home about.

Or maybe it was.

I know such feelings have been expressed before. For me, the heroic is in keeping on when the inspiration wears off. I thoroughly enjoy those moments of gusto and enthusiasm but now I treasure (ok maybe that is too strong a word) . . . give a respectful bow to? . . . those moments of drudgery. And those moments when I, too, am a lot less then inspiring. Such a relief in some way!

So here's to those moments of boredom that give way to new possibilities. And, hey, maybe it's ok not to try my absolute hardest in every exercise endeavour.


2 comments:

  1. Agree! I think it is a delicate balance of knowing when you're not inspired but still benefiting from the work out and simply needing to take a break. With my injury and recovery being a slow road this is something that I've needed to learn to pay close attention to.
    Way to stick to it Ann dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's creating space for yourself to be where you are. And a gentleness to not always have to be inspired. I like that. I find it encouraging. Lately I've been feeling ugh about exercising but have gone for some walks which are ok. I like the cool air and feeling my feet move. I think i too often feel i need to be inspire. Maybe its more about the moving most times, the being with yourself and seeing the moment.

    ReplyDelete