Saturday, January 26, 2013

Falling in love (again)

Exercise and I had a long dry spell. Exercise was often guilt-inspired or resulted in disappointment in my reduced performance. A common occurence was me going for a run grumbling most of the time of how much further and faster I used to run. Or doing yoga and swearing I was less flexible than the previous session.

Slowly I am looking forward to exercise all over again. Like today I had a yoga session where my whole body felt rubbery and relaxed at the end. Later on I went for a run and my left ankle felt surer, my stride springier, and two miles did not feel like a death sentence. Plus I am fantasizing about my next NTC workout and how buff I am going to get.

So what brought about this gradual transformation? (And dear god will it stay?)

I composed a list of ten possible influences:

1. Damned persistence. I have a spreadsheet of my weekly schedule that includes exercise. I highlight the run/yoga session/NTC workout when (if) I complete it that day. Trust me, there are a lot of un-highlighted ones. Yet having those times scheduled and the reward of highlighting kept me going multiple times.

2. Easing up. Thanks to both of you I stumbled across that notion that I don't have to do all out every time I work out. This concept resulted in me slowing down some and noticing to finer points of posture, form, and, perhaps, even the scenery?

3. Enjoying myself. I noticed last summer in Chicago that some runners looked absolutely miserable. I thought, "hell, if I am going to run I am going to enjoy it." Although I can't always stick with that commitment, I try to remind myself of it when I am getting particularly grim (think gritting teeth).

4. Paleo diet. Now that I am on the paleo diet for almost a month the nutrition (think not sugar) is likely helping my body recover and care for myself as well as sustain more intensity.

5. Options. Moving to Martinez means that every run does not have to include a steep decline/incline. Sure I can do hills but I can also run along a street or downtown area or by the water. Places where I feel less need to amp up on the energy. I have a gym treadmill at when it is dark out. Also I have three different versions of yoga hour of power and a multitude of NTC workouts.

6. Vanity. Yes sometimes it comes down to wanting to look good or try to look my best. Question: is a yoga body ever obtainable?

7. Others. Knowing that others around me are exercising gets me in the mood. Like my colleague who just ran a marathon or a friend that does crossfit. Or sisters that exercise.

8. Meditation. All of a sudden while trying to do a downward dog lunge, I heard my disatisfied grumbling around lack of improvement. Then I started to listen to my dialogue, while still yoga-ing. Gradually I was able to feel a little friendly toward my discontent while trying out warrior pose 3.

9. Identity. Sometime in Arizona part of my identity became that of a runner. I wasn't ready to give up on that yet.

10. Sister's blog. This place gives me a spot to reflect and share about my experience in exercising. And also makes it so I want to have something to blog about!

3 comments:

  1. I like this. It makes me want to write up my own list. Isn't interesting how transformation happens?! You don't realize it until you're a ways down the road and then you glance back at the twists and turns surprised at how far you've come. It's gradual like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But powerful nonetheless. Hmm it's like a long term relationship love - a gentle being instead of head over heels crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat. Goes to show you how life is so many little bits and pieces. I myself have been having a frustrating time with exercise...I feel tired a lot and my hip seems to tighten up at random. So for me maybe I could write a list of the things that keep me sane while I can't exercise as much or as intense as I'd like :P

    ReplyDelete