Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What a BEAUtiful day!

My friend Cassie told me about a Nike app for running last week during out skype date. She got me really excited to try it because she has also had issues with her knee. She inspired me since she said she has been feeling so much better and has been using the Nike App to help.



Today I went out for my second run with the app! After doing a short 20 min yoga glo warm up I laced up, grabbed both door and gate key, ipod and sunglasses, and headed out to Mountain.

The app does this little countdown "Start run in 3...2...1!" The morning was chilly, perfect for running because even if you warm up you wont over heat. I've been working hard on paying close attention to my stride and making sure I 'follow through' and use both legs equally.

I can tell I'm still getting back into the groove because I started out like those newbies we used to run with Ann! All fast (faster than a 10 min/mi pace) and so I made sure to slow it down.

I went a similar route that we ran on when you were here Ann! Joy- I live under a mile from this awesome river trail! So I ran up there today and crossed this bridge (I think its the bridge we used to called "The Bridge the Tarabithia") and ran down to campbell, crossed the major bridge and headed back.

This whole time I felt pretty great. I realized at one point that neither my low back nor my hip was bothering me, I only had a slight tightness in my left knee.



On the return loop I was feeling super amped and really wanted to just run fast! I have been running so much on the treadmill its just not the same to sprint on a treadmill as it is outside. So, I hit the "powersong" button on my Nike app (you can choose these songs to really get you going when you need/want it!) I was excited when "My Life Would Suck Without you" by Kelly Clarkson came up.

You know that feeling you get when you're having a good run? Your legs are bouncing and you are just moving through space smoothly? Like you're flying! It was fantastic! I ended up sprinting/running fast about four different times. My lungs definitely aren't at what they were a few years back when I was running further and faster but it felt like freedom, like flight! I finished my run 2.66 miles in 27.28 mins. not my fastest time ever and definitely not my furthest distance ever but still one of my most memorable runs. A run that make me think again "Oh! I'm a runner!"



It feels good to be back! (and I hope I stay back!)

PS: I'm not saying the Nike app is the reason I had a great run, rather it was just part of my experience!



4 comments:

  1. I had such a run this weekend. It feels so good and powerful. I wish we could run together...
    Today i took a day just for me. Laying in bed resting and listening to an audiobook. It felt so good. Do you ever feel like you need to be still and move at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fly my dear, fly! I miss that bridge to Terabithia and all our river runs. I am def going to download the app.

    Joy I am happy that you are flying too. And cuddling in bed. What audiobook? And usually I feel like I want to be still but should be moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly my dear, fly! I miss that bridge to Terabithia and all our river runs. I am def going to download the app.

    Joy I am happy that you are flying too. And cuddling in bed. What audiobook? And usually I feel like I want to be still but should be moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what it feels like to want to be still but also move- usually when I'm super sleep deprived but want to be active too.I'm glad you were able to take a day and that you had a run like that this past weekend!

    I also know what its like to want to be still but feel like I should be moving :P

    Please let me know what you think of the app!

    Cant wait for another sister run!

    ReplyDelete