Friday, December 13, 2013

I believe I began to run...

I just wrote this poem. Its more just a rough train of thought put in 'poem-fashion.' I was reflecting some on childhood and my general interest in flight and dance and this came out.


I believe I began to run for more
than just to be skinny

I began to run because it was the
closest I could get to flying, to freedom

I began to run porque mi mama
no quiso que yo bailara

I ran for space from the oppressiveness
of my life

I ran because it was the one thing
I could do

Running was the last drop of independence
and creativity in movement
I had left

Running was as much my savior
as it was my illness
but perhaps not

Perhaps it was a light
a quick fix to get me
through to the next thing

Like a temporary bandage
until the stitches

But the removal of the bandage,
hurt.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Hope! That is so beautiful and moving. Please write more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Ann! I definitely will! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes do. I enjoyed the rhythm and flow. Your sentiment is both beautilful and sad. Love u dear!

    ReplyDelete