Sunday, September 29, 2013

Keeping on

I thought about our blog the other day and realized I didn't want it to go defunct. Hope, I like your idea so much, and I feel that we ongoing care we can continue the Sister's Log. And, hey, that's a lot like keeping up on your exercise routinue, no?

In that spirit, I was looking back in these past years and wanted to share a brag. The YMCA race results for the latest (last year) for my 5k:

 Division: Women - 30-39
       1. Brooke Roberts, Richmond, CA                32    0:22:11   O'All:     2
       2. Ann Eberhardt, Martinez, CA                 30    0:27:56   O'All:    10
       3. Fina Prak, Hercules, CA                     32    0:29:26   O'All:    14
       4. Gabriela Ruiz de Mejia, Richmond, CA        31    0:33:07   O'All:    23
       5. Heather Kulp, Richmond, CA                  37    0:33:27   O'All:    24

Yup, I got second place in my division. I had never placed before, so I was surprised when the following week my co-worker Shannon came in with a medal for me.

Also, another piece to share is my joining a yoga studio -- well a trial membership for a month. I have been to about 20 classes in the last three weeks. I have done hot yoga basics and then the full hot yoga class -- so sweaty. The pose that I find the most ridiculous is the (half) lotus. You lay on your belly on the mat while smooshing your arms under your body with your palms on the mat. If that is not awkward enough, you are then supposed to lift both legs in the air while your lips are squashed down on a soaked-with-sweat yoga mat.  You follow me?

The best part about joining the studio, other than then natural high from unnatural body contortions, is facing a fear. I had looked into joining the studio when I moved here now years (!) ago but felt too intimidated to go. I was so nervous when I made it inside the first time, that I could barely fill out the form. I managed to start the next day in a basics class and then began to eagerly explore the options, running home after class to check the schedule for the next day. It gave me a place, outside of my apartment, where I could feel a degree of safety and consistency.

Today I will probably go to a yin class -- which, for Yoga Sol, basically consists of laying on the mat with your legs drapped over the rounded cushion and sandbags for pressure on your feet. So relaxing.




2 comments:

  1. congrats on the race! That is so awesome! And I know exactly which pose you are talking about...the two times I've done it I've found myself wondering "uh...so am I supposed to feel like my hip bones are crushing my hands?"

    I'm glad you've found a yoga studio and it sounds like it has some great variety!

    Also, thanks for posting something I can't believe its been more than three months since our last post! Lets keep it alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga sol sounds like a sanctuary. I would love to go someday.

    ReplyDelete